Saturday, June 20, 2009

Running With Steve

Tomorrow morning, I am running with my brother-in-law. He's doing a longer run (6mi) and I am going to try to do the middle 3 with him. I've been running 2 miles with my pal Bill, and I am not sure I can do the 3 miler yet. I will be sorely tempted to keep going, but I should make sure I walk if I need to. I don't want to get hurt.



It occurred to me today that I could have a very objective and measurable fitness goal for the rest of my life. How I get there might vary over the years, but here's a stab at an outcomes-based fitness goal that will adapt with my needs over time:
  1. Be able to pass the Navy Personal Fitness Test (PFT) at the medium-good range
  2. Have a normal BMI


With a little work, I think I can achieve both of these in a relatively short period of time. I almost have a normal BMI. In the chart above, there's a little tiny yellow corner straight up from my 5'11" height. I'm somewhere in there--lose 15 pounds, and I'm good to go. Now, if I shrink and inch or so, I'll need to drop a few more pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment