Friday, July 10, 2009

Miles for Meals 5K


Okay, I just registered for my first 5K race. I think Marti and Renee will be doing it too. It's August 1, 2009 in Muskegon. We'll be up north on Lake Michigan, and it's just a 40 minute ride back to Muskegon for this cool race. 194 finishers last year. Cool!

My fastest time for 5K is 27:00, or 9 minutes per mile. That was yesterday morning. Three weeks from this Saturday is the 5K, and I am planning to do the 8K Crim race later in the month. Fun.

Oh, and I bought me some nice Saucony Pro-Rigid Jazz 12 running kicks today.

Tomorrow's Run

Tonight I rode my bike around the 4 mile route I put together. The first two miles are the same, but the second twist around a bit. I'm going to need the map. One of the reasons is that I just can't deal with out-and-back routes; I think that is a holdover from cycling, where getting the same ride in reverse is really boring and also has consequences for wind and hills.

I'll be doing it with a 4:1 run/walk ratio, which is pretty wimpy. But I'll be going out with new shoes, on a new route, with an extra mile. This will be my long run for the next few weeks as I gradually increase the run/walk ratio to 9:1. Before long, I'll add the last mile to this route as I prepare for the 8K. I only plan to do the 5 mile a couple of times at most before the Crim.

Counting Saturdays
  • SAT 7/11: tomorrow!
  • SAT 7/18
  • SAT 7/25
  • SAT 7/1: Lakeshore Miles for Meals 5K
  • SAT 7/8:
  • SAT 7/15
  • SAT 7/22: 8K Crim
Again, my goal for the Crim is 45:00 on the 8K--that's an even 9:00/M pace, which I can do for 3 miles. I want to extend that to 5 miles and see if I can even shave a bit off. I think 7 weeks is enough time for that. I am also happy that I'll be doing at least one race in the middle there.

If I stick with this, there's no reason I can't run the regular 10 mile Crim in 2010. Perhaps a good goal would be to have this same pace of 9:00/M for that race. In the 2008 Crim, 40-44 male age group, that pace would get you 225th place, which is about middle of the pack of 500 or so finishers in that group. It would be about 1,930 overall. More than 7,000 people ran the 10 mile Crim last year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment