Monday, September 13, 2010

5K Benchmark Test

If I can run the 5K in under 24 minutes, I will proceed with my goal time of under 4 hours for the marathon. This is actually a high hurdle to clear: that means a 7:43/M pace for 3 miles. Recently I ran a 7:40 mile, and I have done it as quickly as 7:10, but finishing in under 24 will mean that I have shaved quite a bit off my 5K time. Perhaps I should revise to say:

If I can comfortably run the 5K in under 24 minutes, I will proceed with my marathon goal time of under 4 hours.

If not, I will move to a sub 4:10 marathon plan. This would mean doing mile splits of 9:30/M, which is quite doable for me. I think I would end the race fairly comfortable if I did it that way. After all this training, however, it would be cool to put up a nice time. I like the idea of having to earn it by getting the sub-24 5K.

Craig's formula for 23:59 in the 5K predicts a marathon time of 3:54. I would be delighted with that time.

Sub-4 Plan
  • Splits as close to 9:00 as possible
  • Any splits below 9:00 = immediate 1 min walk break
  • No more than 3 miles without a walk break
First 10 miles
  • Keep splits at 9:00 like the Crim; NO FASTER!
  • At least 3 walk breaks
  • At least 3 water bottles
  • 4 GuChomps
  • Stretch at the end
  • Goal time = 1:30 (no faster!)
Second 10 miles
  • Keep splits at 9:00 like the Crim; NO FASTER!
  • Bathroom break when you can
  • At least 3 walk breaks
  • At least 3 water bottles
  • 4 GuChomps
  • Stretch at the end
  • Goal time = 3:00 (no faster!)
Final 10K
  • Try for 9:00/M pace
  • At least 2 walk breaks
  • At least 2 water bottles
  • 2 GuChomps
  • Goal time = 59 minutes or less (pace can increase to 9:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment