Friday, March 19, 2010

Here Goes Nothing

Well, I had a great day with my Dad today. I think I'm ready for a race! Let's go out there and see what we can do.

Official Results

Are posted here, but the highights:
  • 10k Split: 54:46 (8:49/M)
  • 13.1 Chip: 2:02:56 (9:23/M)


Done. Splits:
  1. 9.31
  2. 8.55
  3. 8.29
  4. 8.33
  5. 9.02
  6. 9.19
  7. 9.19
  8. 9.54 * bathroom break *
  9. 9.02 // charlie horses //
  10. 9.05
  11. 9.46
  12. 11.05
  13. 11.33 (includes .1)
Analysis

00-05M | 43:30 (8:42/M)
06-10M | 46:39 (9:19/M)
11-FIN | 32.24 (10:25/M)

Replay

Remember to write about the following:

The night before the race, my Dad and I walked down to Dupont Circle to grab some takeout from Al Tiramisu, which is a fantastic Tuscan restaurant. I got some grilled salmon with a nice orange glaze and polenta, which was too good not to enjoy with a glass of wine. I hit the sack and set 3 alarms for 5:15 the next morning.

I got up before the alarms after some real sleep--I actually got some rest! It only took me a while to get dressed and ready; I put on my $3 Goodwill hoodie and Dad's 1980s black velour Fila sweatpants and headed out to Dupont. When I got to the Metro station at 5:40, the place was packed with runners. I barely got on the Red Line train. When I swtiched at Metro Center to go to the Stadium, I was the very last person who could fit in the train! It was a packed ride to the race.

Once I got into the Armory, it was easy to check my bag and make my way to the start. I put myself in the 8:40 corrall and waited for the start in my raggedy sweats. I took them off, folded them, and tossed them neatly next to a tree. When the starting gun went off, we waited and waited. It took 5 minutes for the line to start moving.

The first mile was slow!
  • Metro ride down to the race area
  • Starting line
  • First mile (slow--traffic)
  • Guy with two hats
  • Strong feeling in first 5 miles
  • Logistics of drink/eat/pee
  • Water @ M5
  • Bathroom break after M7
  • 4:00 pace group
  • Howard Univ.
  • The first charlie horse (higher in the leg)
  • The feeling of the calf charlie horses and your reaction
  • Mental calcuations about goal time
  • Poweraid fill @ M9
  • Foil wrapper
  • Ride home with DNF man
  • Five Guys!!!
Another bite at the apple on 4/24? Borgess Run for the Health of It Half Marathon.

Or this one on April 10: Martian Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment