Saturday, March 6, 2010

Last Long Run... Tomorrow

Well, I put off the 13-miler by one day due to an extra margarita and an hour of street hockey. It just didn't seem advisable this morning. Tomorrow, I will do it. I think I'll do 3-3-3-2-2. This gives lots of time for water refills, bathroom breaks, etc. I also need to make sure I hit the gym and use the cold plunge.

Tomorrow is also my last day to experiment with food and drink, but the experimentation is really over. I drink 24oz every 30 minutes or so, eat a Gu Chomp every 10-15 min. 3 half tablets of electrolyte and 12 Chomps easily fit in the pouch of my Amphipod handheld. Good to Go.

Whatever Shall I Wear?

I'm thinking the National Half will be 45F, which is hard to dress for. I've done two races close to this temp back in November. I did a 10K @ 55F and a 5K @ 45F wearing the same thing: my Saucony Boston pants and a lightweight, non-zip, long-sleeve technical. I think that a slight tweak on this will be fine: wear the Bostons and a lightweight, zippered, long-sleeve technical. Got the perfect one yesterday. I will run in it tomorrow.

I just go back and forth on wearing shorts. I would hate to be cold. 5 degrees colder and I would not worry about it. 45F just appears to be a tipping point. If it's windy at all, I'd be screwed in shorts--I'm not used to it. I am just going with the Bostons; I ran a 10K race in them when it was 10 degrees warmer and I specifically blogged about how it felt. I said I didn't feel hot, but that I might have been better able to cool with shorts on. The new Nike is going to be perfect, I think. Here it is:



I would rather feel a tad warm than cold. At 45F, I don't think that's going to happen. I think I remember briefly wondering if shorts would have worked during that 5K, but only because it was just 25 minutes at very intense effort. No question: my wardrobe is going to be:
  • Nike Essential Soft Running Shirt
  • Saucony Boston Pants
  • Under Armor CoolMax socks
  • Brooks headband
  • Dollar gloves (disposable)

No comments:

Post a Comment