Monday, August 17, 2009

Crazy Strategy

So, this morning I ran the 5 miler at the 3:2 ratio. I guess it was a little too easy. I did get a good workout, but I am totally jonesing to go running again... right now. I very nearly did it. But I need to be smart about this. I ran it 54 minutes. But I just learned that my 5 mile route is a little longer than 5.

The next time I run this I will go 4:1 and see my time. Now, my 4:1 has been this ratio that has made me faster in the recent past. It's also the easiest ratio I have with 1 minute walk breaks. As I was running this morning, I came up with a Crim strategy I may actually use:
  • Run the first 2 miles @ 4:1
  • During the first walk break after the 2-mile mark, change the interval timer to a 6:1 ratio
  • Run miles 3 and 4 @ 6:1
  • Turn the interval timer off after the 4 mile mark.
  • Run the last mile of the race straight.
The idea here is that the walk breaks help the most earlier in the race. Why change for miles 3 and 4? Well, one thing is to cut down the overall number of walk breaks. The other idea is that the primary job of the 4:1 is to keep me from blowing it early like I did in Muskegon.

Truth be told, I will be happy with my Muskegon pace for the Crim. If I can do Saturday's 8k at 9:03/M I will be delighted.

If my car odometer is right, I ran 5.4 miles this morning and my real pace was 9:38/M. At that pace, I would finish an 8k in 49:37. I'd like to finish in 45 if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment