Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Relaxed Wheels Behind Me


This is a phrase/focus I started using a couple of days ago on my run. Gonna try it again tomorrow.
  • It reminds me to relax the muscles in my lower legs before they hit the ground. It occurred to me that landing on tensed muscles was like jumping off the roof with your knees locked.
  • Wheels help me think of my legs in a different way--not just a ChiRunning thing, but a way to force myself to use my legs differently.
  • Wheels also help me remember to pick up my feet and rotate them above my ankles in a circular motion.
  • Behind me helps with my midfoot strike and landing on a foot that is under/behind my center of gravity and already traveling to the rear. As Danny says in a video, "why would you put your brakes on by sticking that foot out into the road as it's coming at you?"
  • The phrase is also in the right order: 1) relax muscles in lower legs, 2) rotate them as wheels, 3) make sure they are traveling behind you.
Relaxed wheels behind me. It's kind of an NLP thing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment