Sunday, September 20, 2009

Military PFTs


Before I started running, I got interested in the Physical Fitness Tests that the military uses. I first found the Navy PFT and blogged about it. It's actually what made me start running around the block--could I meet the minimum for a 1.5 run?

For some reason, I find the test standards fascinating. Today I looked up the tests for the Marine Corps. I learned that each branch of the service uses different tests for running:
  • Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force use the 1.5-mile distance.
  • Army uses the 2-mile distance.
  • Marines use the 3-mile distance.
All branches have a simple point system with minimums that are indexed by age. The test for the Marines--true to form--is the most difficult.

When I blogged about the Navy PFT, I thought this might be an interesting fitness benchmark. Because it's indexed for age, I could always have a fitness goal that went something like: I will be able to pass the Navy PFT. Perhaps I could say Marines now that my running is a bit better. The Marines PFT is a combination of three metrics: pull ups, crunches, and 3-Mile run.

There's even a cool online calculator for the Marines PFT. They need to work on the calculator, though, because it does not disqualify you if you don't meet the minimums.

I'm not sure if I could do the pull ups and crunches required below, but I could try.
  • 49 points for a time of 26:30 in the 3-Mile (30 is the minimum)
  • 15 points fo 3 pull ups (minimum)
  • 45 points for 45 crunches (minimum)
  • TOTAL: 109 points
That 109 point score would place me in 3rd class for my age group. If I could pick up 16 more points, I could be 2nd class. Not bad. I really find the standards interesting--the combination of points and minimum make it a challenge. The tests are indexed for age, so you can keep the same goal for life.

Perhaps I should make an appointment with Mac in the fitness center to see how many pull ups and crunches I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment