Sunday, November 1, 2009

10K Goal Setting

One week from today, I run my first 10K race. A couple ways to proceed in terms of goals:
  1. Don't set a goal. I think most of my success in the past few weeks has come from leaving the watch at home, focusing on form and having fun, and giving myself days off to listen to my body. So one way to proceed would be to just show up for the race and do my thing.
  2. Pick an incremental improvement on my 5K and 8K times. This would be easy. My pace in the 5K was 9:05/M and my pace in the 8K was 8:56/M. That would mean a pace of 8:45/M would be a reasonable goal. 8:30/M or 8:20/M would be a good stretch goal.
  3. Pick an exponential improvement over my 5K/8K times. I shaved 9 seconds off my pace last time; shave 18 seconds off this time for a pace of 8:38/M, or 3x @ 8:29/M, or 4x @ 8:20/M.
  4. Pick a pace time for the half marathon. I would love to finish the half marathon in 1:50:00, which would be an excellent time for me. That would be an 8:22/M pace. I think I could do this in the 10K--I've done it on 6mi runs here at home.
I've got some time to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment