Friday, November 13, 2009

Genesys Track Pace Chart



This is a cool chart. It's a pacing system for working out at the Genesys indoor track. Each lap in Lane 3 is 426.6 yards. The chart correlates the time of laps in Lane 3 to per-minute pace, 5K finishing time, and 10K finishing time. 13 laps at a particular lap time will yield a particular 5K finishing time; 26 laps will do the same for a 10K. The finishing distances are only slightly off: 13 laps = 5.07K, and 26 laps = 10.14K.

Two opportunities to improve my times in the near future:
I've set some goals for these races. Maybe I should do one more pace run at Genesys for each. I hope to finish the 5K in under 25, and the 10K in under 52 minutes.

The chart above makes training and pacing for 5K and 10K races easy: find your desired finishing time and never dip below the lap splits for it. This will also help me develop a "5K pace" and 10K pace" which I have seen referenced in many training plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment