Friday, December 11, 2009

10K @ 19F


Tomorrow, I run my second 10K race the frigid cold. It's supposed to be 19F when the starting gun goes off at Run Like the Dickens tomorrow. Still, I am worried about overdressing. I did a 5 miler in 22F wearing my regular stuff, so I think I should be okay. I bought a new pair of gloves. Apart from that, I think I should wear the normal gear.

I am going to try for my old goal: 52 minutes or less. I have a Stooges playlist that is 51:30, so we'll see if Iggy can get me across the finish line.

To get across in 51:50, I need to average 8:20/M. I can do that. I did 8:17/M in the 5K, and I don't think that was max effort. I could have done more. So I feel that I can make this goal.

51:44

That is the exact time of my Stooges running mix--I've run with it a few times. It's cool. Perhaps my goal should be to cross the finish line before the music stops. The song "Funhouse" comes on at approx. 24 minutes. Raw Power comes on at 32:00. My last 10K was a 51 minute Zeppelin mix.

The Night Before

Okay, so it's 16F out there now, and I have all my running gear on; it is so freakin' cold out there!!!! I don't want to overdress, but it would be terrible to underdress. My legs weren't cold at all, and I don't expect they will be. Here's what I am wearing:
  • Layer 8 skin-tight, long-sleeve shirt
  • ZeroXposur fleece (these two items are usually good into the mid 20s)
  • Saucony Boston pants (again, good into the low 20s, warmish in the mid 50s)
  • Non-cotton ski socks
  • Gloves
  • Running shoes
  • SIMMS balaclava
This should be fine when running a difficult race.

56:01

Not great. But I went out and did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment