Friday, December 25, 2009

New Tires

New Balance 790

I took my first run in the New Balance 790, a discontinued, minimal trail shoe that is popular with ChiRunning people. I decided to just go out for 3 miles and try something a little different: I ran with a 60bpm click track and ran at a cadence of 90 (that's what you get if you run in "waltz time" at 60bpm). Some thoughts:
  • The shoes are not uncomfortable; the lack of cushioning is immediately noticable. I ran 3 miles and noticed more fatigue--not pain--in my upper feet and lower legs than I usually experience. It's been about 6 hours since the run, and my R plantar fascia is a little warm and inflamed (it didn't hurt during the run, and it's not really painful now).
  • You can really "feel" the road in these shoes. I tried to focus on this because I don't plan to log lots of miles in these guys; I plan to use them on "form focus" runs where I want to feel the road. I had an interesting sensation during the run: it felt as though I was using my mid-foot to strike, but my toes and heel were also giving me information about the terrain. It almost felt like my toes and heels were acting like ski poles--they were not supporting my weight, but they were giving me information about the lay of the land.
  • On this run, I also ran with the click track. This was odd at first. One thing I learned is that there is no way that I keep a steady cadence while running. I had to work to stay at 90 pretty consciously. Reflecting on the run, I can tell that I must increase/decrease cadence depending on my perceived exertion. This was a cool run because--for the first time--I could objectively notice my increase and decrease in speed. Running with the click track will be very interesting at Genesys. I had a moderate perception of increasing lean and stride length to increase pace, but I did not have a good sense of it. I mostly noticed these changes after they were happening. At Genesys, I will be able to monitor these at 426 yard intervals.
  • The shoe seems fine for short runs, and will probably be ideal for work on the indoor track, especially when I want to feel more of how my feet land on the ground. I'll use these shoes to focus on my form.
  • I always find myself doubting that I actually strike at the mid-foot. Part of me thinks (and I sometimes have the perception) that I am striking with my heel; however, I must be avoiding the heel enough to stop the intense pain I was getting in my lower legs.


In thinking about perceived exertion, check out the Perceived Exertion Scale. Here's a modified and simpler version:



So, I love being analytical about this thing. The "Borg Scale" might be a great way to work on different effort levels. From my reading of running magazines, etc. I have noticed that many runners have a 5K and 10K pace. I assume there is a corollary half-marathon and marathon pace. Off the top of my head, paces I would be happy with in the next 12 months are:
  • 5K = 7:45/M (24:00)
  • 10K = 8:17/M (51:30)
  • 13.1 = 8:35/M (1:52)
  • 26.2 = 8:50/M (3:51)
The pace chart I made for the indoor track will be a cool way to monitor this. Another great thing about that chart is that I can simulate different exertion levels and patterns (e.g. pushing it at the end of a race, etc.). I am actually looking forward to using the track in January and February.

I only have about 80 days before the half marathon. So I think that I will be "training" for the first time come January 2010. The Genesys track should help with that. I've also stabilized at 190 pounds. I think it's a reasonable goal to lose 10 pounds before the race. That is under one pound per week. Here are some diet ideas:
  • No soda (Diet Coke at work)
  • No fast food (McDonalds, Burger King, Halo Burger, Taco Bell, etc.)
  • No candy (that means you Peanut M&Ms)
Frankly, those could be easy to stick to for 80 days. You might lose more than 10 pounds just by doing that. Add the running, and maybe you'll get to that magic 175 number. Who knows?

One thing is for certain: the race will be easier if you weigh less.









New Balance 800

I am contemplating a purchase of these:



No comments:

Post a Comment