Saturday, December 18, 2010

LRPM

Long Run Pool Marathon.

The acronym just leaped off the page. Earl Fee's The Complete Guide to Running has a whole section called the LRPM method. In it, he extols the virtues of DWR as a supplement to long runs to build the equivalent mileage to 26+.

I love this idea. Now, I am unlikely to work on DWR. The best fit for me is SWR, but I had already thought about something similar to this.

Given my finicky ITB, I think I am only going to do SWR this week and see how I feel. I don't want to be sidetracked for too long, so maybe I can nip this in the bud. By the time the really long runs come, perhaps I can work the SWR into long run combinations to simulate marathon-length sessions.

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.
--Steve Prefontaine

Update: SUN, 2010-12-19

Did the equivalent of 8 miles in the pool today. My right ITB feels "warm," but no pain. We'll see how this works. I plan to do all running as SWR in the pool this coming week. The way I am doing is seems fine. 9 laps = 1 mile. Each lap takes appox. 1 minute, so this seems about right. I did 72 laps today.

No comments:

Post a Comment