Monday, October 25, 2010

Target Pace Training

For my next marathon, I plan to use the same training program with three changes:
  1. Lose 10 more pounds. Aim for being 175 lbs on race day.
  2. Better physical conditioning. Work out 3x/week with an upper/lower body strength training routine.
  3. Do more long runs at marathon goal pace.
Number 3 above is the only real change to the actual training plan. It's no coincidence, I think, that my overall pace in the marathon was equal to the pace I ran my long runs. A great article on active today confirmed this hypothesis. This quote is worth repeating here:
If you're training for a marathon, it's best to integrate your target pace training into your long runs. In the early weeks of training, scatter a few marathon target pace segments lasting a few minutes apiece into one long run every other week. As your long runs become longer, make the marathon-pace segments longer, too (1-2 miles). During the final weeks of training, do marathon target pace segments that are as long as 5K apiece. Also, do one or two moderately long runs (10-15 miles) entirely at this pace. [Source: Target Pace Training]
This is something I can do.

If I really do the Martian Marathon in April, it will be interesting to see what kind of time I can get with these three changes. From there, I think I might select a totally different training plan; perhaps something from Marathon Nation, or a custom plan developed by a local running shop, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment