Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What Went Right

Okay, I am sore, fatigued, and a little depressed. This seems to be very normal. Here's an idea: list the things that went right.
  • The new Nike shorts are perfect--just the right length and weight.
  • The Injinji toe socks were fantastic. Not a single blister.
  • NipGuards worked great. A must for any run over 8 miles.
  • Brooks Ghost 2 shoes were excellent--they had 62 miles on them at the start.
  • GuChomps are still the perfect food. Easy to carry, easy to eat.
  • Disposable sweats worked great; why do anything else?
  • BodyGlide. I put it on my feet, in my shorts, and around my waist. No friction problems at all. This stuff works.
  • Watch and split timing; got every split, had all the right settings.
Now, a list of things you would do differently:
  • The water bottle seemed unnecessary. I was filling it up, but it rarely got anywhere below half empty. In a race with water stops every 1.5 miles, I think I will skip the bottle next time.
  • Not sure about the electrolyte replacement. I think I might try to switch to pills.
  • iPod. I am leaning toward not taking one with me during races.
  • Must get the calf muscles under control. Strengthen them. Learn new stretches.
  • Do race simulations. I am going to experiment with this.
  • More long runs at race pace; my marathon pace turned out to be my long run pace. Makes sense, right?
First Post-Marathon Run

This morning, I headed out for a 2-miler. It was a very interesting run. I kept an even pace of 9:30/M, which is on the slow side for my normal weekly pace. I was a little sore, but nothing hurt. I was tired, but not exhausted. My lungs were working harder than normal, and the pace felt challenging, which was a totally new experience for such a moderate pace and short distance. I ended the run with a sense that it is going to take a while to bounce back from the marathon. But I could also feel some newly-developed strength in my legs. I think that following a post-marathon recovery schedule is really going to help. I'll get back up to 10 mile long runs within 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment