Friday, January 1, 2010

I Am A Member!



Kathy signed me up at Genesys, so now I can work out on this sweet 426.6 yard indoor track. I did my first real workout there today. Details:

MILE: I ran a mile in 7:07 seconds. That's the fastest I have ever done. Splits:
  1. 1:43
  2. 1:47
  3. 1:44
  4. 1:40
  5. 0:11*
*that's the last little bit to make the full mile.

On a previous visit to the track, the fastest pace I could do and make it all the way around was 6:11/M. I wonder if I could ever go around 4x and hit that time for a mile... As I work out on this track, I will try to do Galloway's Magic Mile Prediction Formula at least once a week. I'll try to get those mile times down.

I also ran another 5K @ 8:30/M pace. This is going to be a great track to use. I also determined my normal walking pace, fastest walking pace, and slowest running pace with a cadence of 90. Should be interesting. Actually, my 3K was a DNF--I went out too fast and decided I could not finish the last lap without really pushing myself. Because I had done that fast mile and did a race the previous day, I bagged it. Splits:

  1. 2:16
  2. 2:05
  3. 2:04
  4. 2:05
  5. 2:04
  6. 2:02
  7. 2:02
  8. 2:02
  9. 1:58
  10. 2:03
  11. 2:03
  12. 1:58
  13. 0:18* [QUIT]
Other Details

15:24/M is my normal, slow walking pace
12:59/M is my fast walking pace [much respect to my race walk friends after calculating that!]
10:10/M is the slowest I can run with a cadence of 90

Two Workout Ideas for the Track
  1. Straight 10K. Run 26 laps and try to get the time down. I might experiment with this cool graphing tool I developed--I could simulate different things, including increased fatigue at the end of a run.
  2. Magic Mile + 5K. I could run one warm-up mile at a very slow pace, do a Magic Mile, then recover for a bit. Then do a 5K. That's basically what I did today.
Each of the above will take approximately one hour. Add a shower and there's enough time to get home and see the kids before I go to work.

Next Ideas
  1. What is the fastest I can run with a cadence of 90?
  2. How can I determine "gears"? Clearly 10:10/M is first gear. My guess is that 6:50/M is 5th gear. I need to do the math sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment