Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Listening

The mark of a good listener is how you chose to react when you hear something you don't like. I've been trying to listen to my body to make sure I don't get hurt; it's been working. The past few days, I have felt a "softness" in my right leg/foot. I've backed off, babied it. Today, I thought I could go all out. Nope.

So my foot was telling me "don't push it" and I had to listen. I only ran 2 miles: one at 8:50 and the other at 8:20. I had planned to time a Magic Mile, and even started one: the first lap was 1:36, which is a pace of 6:36/M. Apart from going out too fast, my foot felt squishy. So I had to make a decision on the fly.

I think I could have made my goal time of 6:59 for that MM. But at what price? I thought to myself, "better to push it now to get a good mile time, or push it Saturday to PR in the 10K?"
That's an easy choice.

Working out at the indoor track has an added bonus--the cold plunge and hot tub. I'm a wimp about that cold plunge, but I was able to stick my foot in it for 30-40 seconds at a time and alternate hot/cold. Quality time massaging the foot with my thumbs in hot water. An easy 3 miler tomorrow should do the trick.

Then I want to beat my previous time in the 10K. Looks like the weather is going to be great--sunny and mid-20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment