Saturday, January 9, 2010

Long Run #1

Did the first long run in my 1/2 marathon program: 8 miles. It was 8 degrees outside, and a bunch of it was over packed snow and slick ice. I had to force myself to slow down several times--I am used to clipping along at my regular pace. My goal was to run at about 10:00/M per mile. I should be going a little slower than that.

My right leg feels a little "soft" after the run, but everything seems fine. Took 800mg Ibuprofen--I almost never do that anymore for running, but it seemed like a good idea. The next long run is two weeks from today (I am taking next week off to race).

I did my regular 3M loop 2x, then tagged it with the local 2M loop. This means I had 2 excellent opportunities to bail out, as I ran by the house 3 times. This will be good for the first bullet point below:
  • Toward the end of mile 6, I really had to pee. This is a first for me. I've never really had the urge to go on a run--this is going to be an issue with future long runs. That's why my system is really good. If I were doing any more than an additional 2 miles, I could have stopped off and used the potty.
  • Psychologically, there were times when 8 seemed too long, like I really didn't want to do it. One thing that helped was "this is the long run," meaning it's the centerpiece of my training program, and it's only once per week. I also thought that if 8 is hard, what is 16 going to feel like? I only thought about 26 for a little while.
  • I estimate my pace to be about 9:45/M on today's run. I think I need to go slower. That's the whole concept behind "LSD" runs. I thought about taking walk breaks, but it was way too cold--it was only 8 degrees out there, man!
  • Sunglasses are going to be a problem for me. In the cold, they fog up instantly if I am breathing into the balaclava. They spent the whole run in my pocket. With the visor, I really don't need them. I am not much of a sunglasses person, anyway--it was just very bright out there today (I am used to running before dawn), and the snow reflects and magnifies that brightness.
  • I remain really impressed with my winter running gear. Those Saucony Boston pants are the best--right down to 8 degrees, my legs are not cold. At the start of the run, my feet felt a little drafty, but that went away. By the middle of the run, my hands were downright hot in the "dollar gloves" I picked up at Complete Runner. The balaclava is still the coolest.
  • As I write now, I am kind of bummed that there's no long run next week. The race will be enough--I need to learn to push it at races. It would be super cool if I could finish this 10K in 53:something (i.e. under 54 minutes). I should be able to do that--it's 8:41/M.

No comments:

Post a Comment