Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fantastic Run

Today, I had a great run. It's worth writing about.

I left later than I do during the week; one of the cool things about running on the weekends is that it actually gets light outside. I left at 7:30 and set out to run 4 miles--a new variation on my newest 3 mile route. I don't run places for the first time in the dark.

I actually started out feeling more tired than I imagined. I think it's best to get out the door before I really and truly "wake up." The difference between 5:30 and 7:30 is huge here--at 7:30 I realize that I could be doing something else.

I listened to a great mix for the first time and really enjoyed the dawn and being able to see where I was going. I saw a crane under the bridge; he flew away as I plodded across. I saw a hawk. I saw a bunch of gulls and Canada geese.

By the time I was back on the older part of the route and heading home, I started flirting with the idea of adding 2 miles. I waited until the very last minute to commit to this. I literally made the decision to turn on that very corner. Then I added a 2-mile loop.

I wondered if this was the right thing to do. My plan has been to keep it conservative and finish feeling strong every day. I still finished feeling strong. The fact that I had run for a solid hour without stopping--at a slower-than-usual pace--made me feel great. I have ZERO soreness or discomfort today.

Had to write all that down. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment