Friday, October 30, 2009

Routes from 2 to Infinity



Above, you see my "cloverleaf" running route system which gives me runs ranging from 2 miles to beyond the marathon. It's deliciously simple. There are three leaves or spokes radiating from the corner in front of my house. This is where I start and end all runs. Each of these has a 3 and 4 mile loop. I also have one 2 mile loop. This means I can create a variety of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 and 14 mile routes without repeats. Beyond 14 I can just add another one of the 2,3, or 4-milers.

For my current run of 6 miles, I have 6 different options: three different 3+3 routes, and three different 4+2 routes.

The combinations are not endless, but they provide enough variety. They also allow me to make adjustments on the fly, shortening or lengthening my runs en route.

And all this without getting more than 1.5 miles away from my house!!!! (That's where the red star is)

The North option has a nice path with a bridge and a golf course. The East option is right in my neighborhood and finishes with a quarter mile straightaway with my house visible at the end. And the West option goes through the new walking trail behind the high school, past City Hall and through another great residential neighborhood and city park.

All routes are within the City Limits of the little community where I serve on the City Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment